* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:08 pm 
Conductor

Thanks, but I am not a member of the LGB club. They seem to want $56 per year in dues. That is a bit much to just to see their forum (dues cover other things as well) as Chloe and one other small engine are the only LGB engines I own.

Thanks to some another member of this forum, I have quite a bit of Hartland and Accucraft :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:12 am 
Engineer

Karl, here is one of the LGB Forum post on "improving" the Chloe.

Posted by:DymondS
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 4:53:17 PM

yes, its quite easy and really important

gently remove the smoke box front cover-add lead wool or shot-reclose-this small amount of added weight makes quite a positive change

it prevents the engine from doing a wheelie

also on the chloe (and to a much smaller extent the olomano) the stack can have weight added instead as its quite large-the top cover pulls off as i recall-it is very snug and seemingly seamless but it does separate-the chloe can hold alot-but the weight woudl be very high (havent filled the stack just the smokebox)

i am planning on adding a smoke unit and rear marker lights (the real chloe had these in the orginal diagrams form the builder-and possibly so did Kimballs actual Chloe) with a 5v stabilization-bought a spare coal bunker and olomano style stack for the purpose of these experimental changes- the stack shaft is solid so it must be drilled to accomodate a smoke unit and wires -it attaches differently too-not an insert into a hole in the boiler but rather with an odd hook-

-and i think ill need to use an HO sized unit at that-possibly a 12 volt version-so the spares with possible screw ups-but it think this will add a lot to these wonderful locos-they are my favorite-

i have been running mine a lot-get those GF open gons while theyre on blow out -they are very nice -

the word is to run them with a light load-maybe 2-3 cars on the flat-ive run mine with 4 with grade-but the workd is the motor can overheat rather easily with strain-the engine will slip fairly readily so i see this a less of a problem-it is not seemingly, the type to run for hours upon hours-altho one owner said he had no problems with this type of running-it was his store display layout

another important help-use lgb lube on the car wheel holders-the wheels seem to sit right against the flat plastic and can squeek and rub slightly-i also replaced some of my original car wheel sets with gary raymond wheels-these add weight and roll really well, and lower the center of gravity of the cars-they feel very delux after the change\\

-the replacement he provides for use with the engine (rear wheel only) however is absolutely worthless-for chloe or olomano (fine for other things)

-the axel is impossibly thick and the wheels do not pull off so the entire rear wheel axel assembly would need to be redone

frankly id love to have a metal rear wheel on the engine-the plastic one just looks cheesy and toy-like-i have not found a practical solution

.......Cow Chip Tipper

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:14 am 
Engineer

And another post on the topic:

Posted by:PierceM
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 4:38:44 AM

I have the Xmas set and i modified my engine by doing the following:

Plugged the bottom of the smoke stack and then filled it with bird shot. Plugged the top of the stack.
Added lead weights in back of the cow catcher on the bottom.
Added a LM7805 circuit inside the wood box for passenger car lights.
Changed out the plastic wheels with the LGB metal wheels. I had to keep the original axle, I just swapped out the plastic wheels for metal ones.

Also there is a company that makes FRR wheel sets with sleeve bearings with electrial pickups. I have added these to 2 cars and a toy train tender.

Since this is a seasonal train, it does not get a lot of run time, however indoors I do run 5 cars on a level stretch

.......Cow Chip Tipper

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:48 am 
Conductor

Thanks for the info Railfan,

In searching the web a bit on this issue, I also read where the Chloe engine is also subject to burning out if it pulls too much (I also get the sense that the quality of LGB engines has gone down over the years).
Of course improving traction will help it pull more so it might increase the tendency of the Chloe to burn out.

Right now I have two of the passenger cars ("First Class") and two of the open "frieght" cars ("Second Class") that go with Chloe. Hopefully if I oil the wheels and don't have much of a grade it will be OK.

KarlG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:32 pm 
7000 post Engineer

You shouldn't burn out your motor unless you weigh it down untill the wheels cannot spin under a load.

My new book, From Plantation to Theme Park: The Story of Disneyland Railroad Locomotive No. 5, the Ward Kimball is now available! You can read more about the book and order a copy here: http://www.steampassages.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:50 pm 
3000 post Engineer

karlg wrote:
Right now I have two of the passenger cars ("First Class") and two of the open "frieght" cars ("Second Class") that go with Chloe. Hopefully if I oil the wheels and don't have much of a grade it will be OK.

That's the exact same load of cars that I'm pulling with my Chloe and it pulls it fine with the weights on the pilot. I do have figures and metal wheels installed in all the cars. I've been operating my Chloe with that set up for about five years now and I'm still on the original motor.

I don't know if it makes a difference quality-wise, but Chloe was made in Germany, not China like the latest products from LGB. All of my LGB products were made in Germany.

The quality of all of my LGB products is second to none in my opinion. I cannot vouch for what others have said about their experiences but all I know is that 100% all of my LGB products work flawlessly. I've had some of them since 1987 too.

- Thurl Ravenscroft 1914-2005 -

Locoboy5150@hotmail.com

Profile E-mail  

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2